DAVID KANE SHOWS YOU HOW TO BUILD YOUR OWN DIGITAL CAMERA USING A RASPBERRY PI AND PYTHON
David Kane (Farset Labs) shows you how to create your own digital camera using a Raspberry Pi. You'll learn how to create a circuit and switch, connect your camera board and write simple programmes in Python to take and save your photo.
This class was created as part of DCAL's Creativity Month and is for Intermediate/advanced users - we'd suggest that you have some experience using the Raspberry Pi and writing simple code before tackling this project.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- How to setup your Raspberry Pi
- How to add an image to an SD card
- How to create a basic circuit with a switch
- How to write a simple programme in Python and understand several programming techniques including threads, interrupts and callbacks
- How to combine smaller programmes together in Python to complete your project
When you're finished, make sure to share your work by uploading a picture or video of your own projects. Then share it with us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram using the hashtag #farsetcamera
- Over 20 minutes of video classes presented by Andrew Mulholland from Farset Labs
- A video overview of the kit you will need to use
- Sample code in Python
- Diagrams of your circuits
- Full step-by-step project guide
For this class you will need:
1 x Raspberry Pi
1 ⨉ Raspberry Pi Camera Board
1⨉ GPIO breakout board
(optional, if you’re brave enough to solder the headers directly)
1 ⨉ Breadboard (Generic)
1 ⨉ 1kΩ resistor (Generic)
1 ⨉ 10kΩ resistor (Generic)
1 ⨉ Microswitch (Generic)
3 ⨉ Jumper wires (Generic)
2 ⨉ Lengths of flexible wire long enough to connect your microswitch somewhere useful
You may also want some mounting hardware and a case. Sticky-back velcro is very handy
for this project too.
We’ll also need some software:
Raspbian (or similar OS) https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
Difficulty Rating: Intermediate to Hard
In Partnership With
Postgraduate researcher specialising in condensed matter physics, embedded developer and all round good guy.